I had heard of Makhana/Lotus Seeds/Foxnut Curry sometime back but have never tasted it. At home, it was only used in sweet dishes and also as a snack[ stir fry it in butter till it is golden brown and crispy and add salt/pepper or chaat masala]. So when I saw it the menu of Kebab and Kurries , I read the description and main ingredients carefully so that I could try it later. It was a lotus seeds ,peas in a yogurt based curry.
This recipe is an adaptation of the recipe here . I must say , this was a nice and different taste.
The clarified butter and the saboot garam masala[ cinnamon,cardamom,cloves] accentuates the taste.
2 Cups Makhana /Lotus Seeds[Choose big seeds]
1 Cup Green Peas
1 tbsp clarified butter/ghee
1 and 1/2 tbsp butter
1 Bay Leaf
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
2 large Cardamom
1/2 cup Cashewnut paste
1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste
1 medium Onion ,chopped
1 cup beaten curd
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder
1 tsp garam masala
4 tbsp cream
1 cup water, add some more if needed.
- Parboil Peas and keep aside.
- Heat clarified butter/ghee and stir fry the Makhana/lotus seeds till golden brown.Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan and then add bay leaf,cinnamon,cardamom,cloves.Saute till they start to crackle.
- Add ginger/garlic paste and sauté well.Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add cashewnut paste and sauté till the butter separates.
- Add curd,coriander powder,cumin seeds powder,salt,pepper,turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Add Green Peas ,Makhanas and water and let the gravy simmer well.
- Add cream and let it simmer for few minutes.
- Serve Hot.