Made these cupcakes for my daughter, who after wishing her cousin a Happy Birthday on a long distance call, wanted to know "Cake kahaan hai" [ Where is the Cake]. There were some beetroots lying in the fridge and I searched for a recipe for cupcakes using them. This recipe had the most positive comments , so decided to make these. And it turned out really moist and utterly delicious. These cupcakes are not pink or red, but dark chocolate colour.
Recipe for cake is from here . It makes about 20-22 regular sized cupcakes. These taste best after cooling for few hours or kept overnight refrigerated covered..
- 250g well-drained, cooked beetroots, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour one 20x30cm (9x13 in) or similar sized baking tin.
- In a large bowl, combine pureed beetroots, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa. Add to the creamed mixture, beating together well. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done. Cool and frost with your favourite icing.