4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter or Oil
1 tsp Salt
2 cups chana dal (bengal gram)
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1-2 green Chilies
½ tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 and ½ tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Chopped ginger
4-5 Garlc cloves chopped
2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves -Finely chopped
Salt according to taste
1 tbsp Oil
Oil for frying
- Wash dal and boil with turmeric and salt till its soft (but not mushy) in just enough water (2 cups) so that water gets absorbed when its done.Strain it to remove any excess water and mash them to look like the picture above.
- To make the dough, Mix flour,salt and oil and rub them for few minutes till it is crumbly. Add water little by little to knead into a firm dough. cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside.
- To make the stuffing:-In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil, Add cumin seeds,bayleaf. When the cumin seed splutters add, ginger,garlic,green chillies. Fry for a minute.
- Add mashed Dal.
- Add roasted cumin powder,corainder powder,chilli powder and cook till the dal becomes dry. It will take few minutes.
- Before turing off the stove,add Garam masala,corainder leaves and mix well.
- When the stuffing cools, make small balls [lemon size] of the dough. Roll it a a small circle.
- Make smaller balls of Dal stuffing.Place it at the centre of the rolled dough and close it from all sides. Flatten this stuffed ball and roll it into puris of small size.
- Deep fry these puris in hot oil till golden.
- Do it for the rest of the dough.
I am sending this to gayathri's Walking through the memory lane event.