I love all things achaari(having pickle masala) whether it is baingan/brinjals or bhindi/ladyfingers and I am sure there are many more. Infact ,give me any dish with nigella and big fennel seeds and I am going to like it blindly.
Baingan/Brinjals, small 6
Mustard oil ( (sarson) 3 tbsp
Bay leaf 1
Asafoetida (hing), soaked in 1 tbsp water a pinch
For Achaar Masala
Cumin powder 1/2 tbsp
Fenugreek powder 3/4 tsp
Fennel (moti saunf) powder 1 tbsp
Yellow mustard seed powder 3/4tsp
Nigella seeds (kalonji) 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tbsp
Carom (ajwan) seeds 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Dry mango powder (amchur) 1 tbsp
Ginger Garlic Paste -1 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Wash the brinjals and slit crosswise along the length, and keep aside.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan on high heat until it starts smoking. Remove an cool.
- Mix the Achaar masala ingredients together in a bowl.
- Fill the brinjals with the achaar masala.
- Reheat the mustard oil; add cloves, bay leaves, asafoetida.
- Add stuffed Brinjals, cover with a lid, and cook on low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The recipe has been modified from Headlines