Confessions of a novice baker - Until recently I didn't even know about Nutella's existence. From the time I have started baking frequently , I have read almost every baker talking about their love for Nutella. I got my Nutella jar few weeks back from Arife at Andheri, Mumbai , but kept postponing making something out of it. My sister has demanded to bring lots of cookies for her, so this was a good time to make few different varieties Yesterday, I spent quite some time finalizing the cookies recipes. The recipe is from PurpleFoodie, an accomplished blogger from Mumbai whose blog is a storehouse of information for bakers in Mumbai. Everything I learnt when I just started baking is from her blog, from where to get the ingredients to what to make.
I wanted them in small size ,so kept the width of the rolled rectangle less. If you want many layers, increase the width.
For 25 small sized cookies
125g / 1 stick butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 heaped cup sifted flour
¼ cup Nutella to spread
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F.
- Mix butter and sugar together till creamy.
- Mix in the egg yolk and the vanilla essence. The mixture should be light and well combined.
- Stir in the flour to form a dough.
- Cover the dough in a cling film and refrigerate it for 15 minutes in deep freezer to facilitate rolling and cutting as the dough is very delicate.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle of ¼ inch thickness between two large cling films. Once rolled,remove the upper cling film.
- Spread the Nutella leaving 1/4 inch on all sides .
- Roll the dough to a log starting from longest side. Put it into deep freezer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Cut into 1/3 inch slices using a taut sewing thread between the fingers of both hands .This would give clean slices.
- Lay the slices 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes till slightly golden at the edges.
- Once done, keep them on baking sheet for few minutes before transferring them on wire rack.