March 1, 2011

Pistachio and White Chocolate Burfi


This weekend was all about food and Mumbai. My brother in law and his wife were here in Bombay/Mumbai and wanted a taste of Mumbai life. Animesh and I have been here now for almost 3 years but there are still so many popular hangouts that we have not visited.Cafe Leopold  and Candies being few of them. You may have read or heard about Cafe Leopold  in the novel ShantaRam and also because it was the first
target of the 26/11 terrorists attacks . Cafe Leopold was not a place for us teetotalers so it would be unfair to judge it.The food was average. Late midnight on Friday, we stopped at Bachelors at the marine drive. It is a road side stall which is open entire night and has the best chocolate shakes and their menu include Ferroro Rocher chocolate shakes too!
On Saturday, me and my sis-in-law went to Candies for lunch and were wowed by its ambience. Such a green and spacious budget restaurant was totally unexpected in Mumbai. The food was good, salad was great. And even though I was full,I wanted to taste the desserts to compare with what I make, to know how much scope of improvement I had. I bought two mini cupcakes in lemon and chocolate flavor. I would be immodest ,but I found mine better . The ones at Candies were dry and nothing great. But , it is a place worth many revisits.
Sunday was even more foodilicious. We had  pav bhaji and chikoo shakes at Amar Juice Centre, golgappes and chaats at juhu beach, Kulhad tea  at Tea Centre ,Churchgate and finally the foodie weekend ended with  pizzas at the Pizzeria, Marine Drive. 


Now coming to the recipe :)  I had no idea about the Pistachio day on Feb 26 until my friend asked me what I had planned for it. I only needed a reason to make something new, but the weekend was going to be busy eating out , so I made these on Monday. These are easy to make but it was hard work for me, as the first recipe I tried did not come out pretty and was a bit sticky. My pistachhio burfi's were bottle green color  instead of bright green.  
I was not satisfied with the color and I couldn't have shared this recipe with others to make.
So, I tried another recipe, which involved blanching the pistachio first and then peeling it to give it a vibrant colour. I had almost used all the pistachios that I had for the first recipe, and there was only half cup left for the 2nd one. The colour would have been even more vibrant if all the pistachios were green.The ones I used had mostly yellows. I was happy with the 2nd recipe, but I had to do something to the first one to remove the stickiness and make it appealing. I had a brainwave to use white chocolate to cover it ,which would harden after freezing and voila!! The new dessert has been invented. Can I patent this !!! :-)  
And I knew I had made a great sweet dish when the first words my husband uttered was "Wow!! This tastesl like a premium dessert ! 
So, my suggestion to everyone who is going to make this- Though you can simply make it without the white chocolate, go for the white chocolate cover to make this extra special!

For 12 small burfis
Ingredients

1 cup  + 5 tbsp shelled pistachhio
1/3  cup+ 2 tbsp  sugar
1/4 cup water
Ghee/Clarified Butter 1 tbsp
2 Cardamom powdered
White chocolate - 4oz

Preparation
  1. Blanch the pistachios in boiling water for 2-3 minutes
  2. Drain the water and remove peels.  
  3. Chop 5 tbsp blanched pistachio and keep aside.
  4. Grind 1 cup pistachios to a paste without adding any water
  5. Heat water and sugar to make a sugar syrup till it reduces to 1 and half Tbsp syrup.  
  6. Add the pistachios,cardamom powder and ghee/clarified butter and start stirring continuously till you see the mixture forms into a soft ball.
  7. Spread it onto a greased plate and smoothen the top.
  8. Cut it into desired shapes when cooled for burfis
  9. For White chocolate cover. 
  • Melt white chocolate and mix till it smoothenes. 
  • Cut parchment papers double the size of the burfis. Put a layer of chopped pistachios on it. Cover it with melted chocolate and smoothen the top using a spatula.
  • On one half of the parchment paper,place the burfis. Cover it with second half and freeze for 30 mins till the chocolate hardens.
  • Remove the parchment paper once the chocolate is set
You can check this video on youtube to see the consistency required. I don't understand the language but the way they make gives you an idea how to go ahead.Recipe Video


11 comments:

Chhavi Sharma said...

wooooooooooow...sushmita...i have no words except...i am definately gonna plan a trip to Mumbai now..and u have to take us around all the food joints..also why dont u start your own food tours around mumbai :-).
FYI i burnt the onions for the noodles i was making..so engrossed in ur blog :-D

Chhavi Sharma said...

wooooooooooow...sushmita...i have no words except...i am definately gonna plan a trip to Mumbai now..and u have to take us around all the food joints..also why dont u start your own food tours around mumbai :-).
FYI i burnt the onions for the noodles i was making..so engrossed in ur blog :-D

CinnamonNChillies said...

Sushmita...You definitely need to patent this!!! I have white choco bars that have been lying idle for so long...the white color of the choco itself puts me off :-)...when I saw ur burfi's pic..I was like wow...such a creative thing..I am finally gonna put my white choco bars into action now :-)

CinnamonNChillies said...

Wow Sushmita..you defintely need to patent this! I have had white choco bars lying idle for long...when I saw ur burfi.I was like wow, this is so creative...I am finally gng to put my white choco into action now :-)

SinFoodie said...

Chhavi- I will be more than happy to have you here and take you around :)
I am planning to do restaurant/food joints reviews too, but it will take more than one visit to do proper just justice to them.
LOL at the burnt onions and at the same time happy that you liked my post :)

Sharada - :) Thanks . kahin to kuchh patent karoon ;-)
Yes, suddenly white chocolate has become more appealing :)

briarrose said...

Yum.....I do love my pistachios and this looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! Wonderful post, thank you for sharing!

Have a lovely weekend!
xx,
Tammy

Usha said...

Burfi looks so tempting and yummy! Thanks for your comment on my blog

SinFoodie said...

Thank you Briarose,Tammy and Usha. :)
Tammy- A very happy weekend to you too!!

Shashi Ranjan said...

Tried it. It turned out to be very good. It is really a premium desert.

Food Frenzy said...

Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the last two weeks of February 2013.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips