This was another Kachauri that was made on Holi. The recipe is by my mother-in-law and the kachauris in the pic above is also made by her. It is another yummy recipe.You can use this stuffing for kachauris/stuffed puris or parathas. I also add some boiled potatoes to the peas stuffing and use it as stuffing for sandwiches.
For the dough
2 cups wheat flour or all purpose flour
1/4 cup refined oil or ghee/clarified butter
1/2 tsp salt
For the Stuffing
2 cups green peas.
2-3 green chillies chopped
1 tsp Cumin seeds [Jeera]
1 pinch asafoetida [Hing]
2 tsp oil
2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala.
Salt to taste
Oil for frying.
For the Dough
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into semi-soft dough using enough water. Knead well for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and keep covered under a wet cloth.
For the Peas stuffing
Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.When it starts spluttering add green peas,salt to taste and chopped chillies .Sauté over slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes
- Take it off stove and let it cool. Once cooled coarsely grind it in mixture-grinder.
- Add roasted cumin powder and garam masala and mix well.
- Divide into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 2 inches diameter circle.Place one portion of the onion filling in the centre of the rolled dough circle and close it from all sides.
- Roll each filled portion into a 3" diameter circle taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 11 more kachauris.
- Deep fry the kachauris in hot oil over a slow flame till golden brown.