May 17, 2011

A Birthday that came and went

White Cake with cream cheese frosting and fondant
Sometimes you plan a day months in advance and all plan fails on the D-day. My Birthday was one such day. I had been planning the day, the things to cook, a lavish cake  and what not. But as it happened , the week long whitewash was scheduled the same week as my birthday. So all plans were put on hold.  I had forbidden my husband not to buy a cake for me as I wanted to bake my cake myself.  My sister had got fondant and other baking equipments during her last visit, and I had saved it for using them on a special occasion. Earlier, I had planned to make it on the birthday eve, but didn't get any time that day. Finally when I could make it , it was already 9:30 night on the d-day. I put the cake in oven,  and had the delicious Biryani made by  Mr. Sinfoodie and saved the decoration for post dinner. We were both so tired and it was already too late, that I let go of all the intricate design I had thought of. It was my first time dealing with fondant. Mr. Sinfoodie helped rolling out  and cutting the fondant. The cake was finally made, though by the time it was made, it was already midnight. Anyway,it doesn't matter :) I didn't mind celebrating it a day late as long as it was made by me. :-D

The cake was a white cake with 2 layers filled with creamcheese and white chocolate frosting and covered with fondant. The recipe has been adapted from joy of baking

Ingredients
For cake

2 large eggs separated
1 3/4 cups cake flour [ i used all purpose]
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar [I substituted it with white vinegar]

For Cream Chees and white Chocolate Frosting
Recipe is here on my blog -> Cream cheese and White chocolate Frosting


Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350F/177C and place rack in center of oven.
  2. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper and grease and dust the parchment paper with little flour. 
  3. Separate the eggs while they are still cool. It is easier to separate cold eggs.
  4. Placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl.  Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and let them come to room temperature, for atleast 30 minutes. 
  5. In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. 
  6. In a separate bowl, beat butter until soft with your electric mixture (about 1-2 minutes).
  7. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). 
  8. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. 
  9. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.   
  10. In a clean grease free bowl , beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar[ I substituted with vinegar] and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
  11.  With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter or it will deflate. 
  12. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. 
  13. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Once the cakes have completely cooled, wrap in plastic and place the cake layers in the freezer for at least an hour. (This makes filling and frosting the cakes easier.)
Assembling the Cake.
  1.  Place one of the cake layers, top of the cake facing down, onto your serving platter. Spread the cake layer with cream cheese frosting.  
  2.  Place the next cake layer, top of the cake facing down, onto the filling. Spread the remaining frosting over the top Cover and refrigerate for some time.
  3. Color,knead and roll the fondant. Cover the cake with fondant and decorate it as per your choice.
  4. In case you are refrigerating the cake before serving, keep it at room temperature for some time after taking it out from refrigerator

33 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand what you mean by plans not working sometimes.

Your cake looks awesome, this is very intricate for me, I have never used fondant. Sounds cool.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Happy birthday:-)
lovely cake, '
I always wonder about the people who can bake such a lovely cake, decorate it and have it too :-))))))

Sobha Shyam said...

Belated B'day wishes to u..cake looks excellent..the pic looks like a painting to me..so perfect!!

Priya Suresh said...

Woww that a pretty and elegant cake..

Nisha said...

Happy B'day to you

Suja Manoj said...

Belated B'day wishes...gorgeous cake,wonderful.

Unknown said...

I would eat this just for the color and so would my little girl....It is "SINFOOLIE" delicious!

Shylaja said...

Belated b'day wishes.Fondant cake looks perfect and elegant
South Indian Home

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Belated wishes dear..Lovely decoration & awesome click..Great job..

CinnamonNChillies said...

I can empathize with u. When it comes to plans going awry I seem to have specialization :-) And yes nothing like a home made Bday cake. No issues if it was ready post 12 p.m. The whole effort seems worth it. Keep up this spirit always in life :-) God bless u!!!

Raji said...

That's one very pretty and cute cake. Belated birthday wishes.

Suman Singh said...

Belated birthday wishes to you..
that is one gorgeous looking cake.. You have done a fabulous job! Kudos to you dear!

Smita said...

Wow..Pretty cake!!! & u really had the patience to stay up till midnight to finish making it..Wonderful!!! Hats off to u...

Belated Birthday Wishes to you..

SinFoodie said...

Thank you so much all of you !! Your lovely comments made my day :))

Umm Mymoonah said...

Wow! Beautifully decorated cake, it's true that sometimes things doesn't go as per plan.
Anyway hope you had a nice time.

Tiffany said...

This cake is freaking adorable! Happy Birthday!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Gorgeous cake! I know I couldn't resist cream cheese and white chocolate frosting...wow!!!

Vardhini said...

I just baked a cake for my daughter. Your cake looks so colorful and yummy and I am sure it would have tasted delicious.

Love your recipes and I am following you for more yummy stuff.

Do visit me as time permits.

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

CinnamonNChillies said...

Few awards waiting for u at my space. Come over and accept pl :-)

luv
Sharada

Sneha Benny said...

Pretty Cake !!! Loved the recipes in your blog. Happy to follow you.

Magic of Spice said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Such a gorgeous cake :)

Rumana Rawat said...

Omg!!! that is so beautiful cake:)

Sensible Vegetarian said...

The cake looks awesome. First time here and you have a nice blog. Belated birthday wishes.

Taste Melanger said...

Great that you visited my blog...got to discover yours. And the first picture itself goy e hooked. I'm just too scared to get into decoration part of cakes, but yours looks so inviting..Glad to follow you!!

Sadhana Valentina said...

Belated bday wishes dear!!! The cake looks lovely. First time to ur blog, loving ur recipes very much... Following u...

Indian Khana said...

Belated Birthday wishes to you and the cake looks very gud ....it always happens and with most of us ..things doesn't fall on place

Dr.Sameena said...

wow...a yummy and droolworthy cake...Mind if i have a slice!:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

kankana said...

Ohh I can imagine how you must be feeling .. you plan so much and then !! belated happy birthday ... must say that the cake looks super pretty ... i could have never pulled that off after keeping so busy and at that time of the day :)

Santosh Bangar said...

beautiful decoration and yummy cale

Joyti said...

Even if you had it late in the day, the cake still looks gorgeous and sounds delicious. And I hope you still enjoyed your birthday :)

Anzz said...

The color is so prety and it really looks great... I know what u mean abt plans going hay wire but still that looks wonderful..!!

Radhika said...

Hey, Its a beautiful cake.. I was wondering if fondant is readily available in the market or is there a way to make it at home..
Thanks

SinFoodie said...

Thanks Radhika :)
It is not readily available in India. My sister got me some from Dubai. Though, I think now it might be available at Arife @Mumbai as they have started keeping Wilton products.
It can be made at home, but I haven't tried it . You can search online for "homemade fondant". I found one recipe here : http://www.bakingobsession.com/2009/01/17/homemade-fondant/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips