April 8, 2011

Marie biscuit Apple Kiwi Crumble



This was an experiment which turned out to be very delicious. For some reason I tend never to eat any fruit until someone forces me to do so. Not that I don't like them, but I never feel that I getup and pick a fruit for myself. This results in lots of fruit lying in my refrigerator. So, I had apples and kiwis lying for sometime and either I had to eat it or make something out of it. Deeba's  latest blog inspired me to something similar , so I used some ideas from her recipe and some ideas of my own to make this crumble.
Husband took it to office and messaged me that everyone loved it and they are waiting for it to be featured on the blog. So here is the recipe.
I loved the flavours ,sweetness of apples, tanginess of Kiwi and the extra special cinnamon flavour.





Ingredients
 For the Base
10 Marie Biscuits Crushed fine
1 and 1/2 TBSP vegetable Oil/Butter melted

For the Fruit Layer
2 TBSP Brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon powder
2 Big Apples diced
3 Kiwis diced
Juice of lime
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

For the Crumble Topping
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 cup cold butter cubed

Preparation

For the base

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Mix  Oil/butter with the crushed Marie biscuit.Put in a bottom- removable pan and press with back of spoon to form a firm base.Bake for 5 minutes. Let it cool.
For the Fruit Layer
  1. Toss the diced apples with the lime juice as soon as you chop them.
  2. Mix in the kiwi,sugar, cinnamon powder and walnuts.
  3. Spread it over the marie biscuit layer.
For the Crumble Topping
  1. Mix plain flour and sugar.
  2. Add cubed cold butter and work with finger tips to make a breadcrumbs like texture. Add and mix Oats.
  3. Put this crumble over the fruit layer. Spread evenly to cover and seal the fruit layer. 
 Assembling
Once you have all the three layers on one above other ,Bake for 30 minutes, or until crumble topping is golden.
I had it both when warm and chilled. Loved it especially when it was chilled.  I forgot to add walnuts initially, so placed it on the top when I recalled later. You can add any fruit.
   


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is crumble season. I visited a few blogs and all of them have crumble postings.
Beautiful combinations you have there.. kiwi. I love kiwi.

CinnamonNChillies said...

I share the same sentiments with fruits as you do :-) Pies and crumbles make them so meaningful. Good combo of kiwi and apple here!

Shaheen {The Purple Foodie} said...

This is so interesting! I love how you've used Marie biscuits. And apples and kiwis together? I'd never have thought!

Also, those Nutella swirled cupcakes are just gorgeous.

SinFoodie said...

@sliceofmylife :) I saw a few too on my timeline on twitter.
@CinnamonNChillies - :-) the combination was an experiment but it turned out well.
@Shaheen - Thank you :) Am so glad to see your comment. It is all because of you that I got into baking. Without your blog, I wouldn't have ever started :)

Ashita said...

I was one of them...at office...who absolutely loved this one...this is one of your best recipes...i am yet to read the recipe (the photograph and your intro itself was so great that i had to first write to you)....i hope ill be able to make it myself...but ill still wait for the second batch from your kitchen :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips