When I first saw the chocolate dipped macroon on google images few days back while searching for coconut based dessert , I absolutely had to make them. It was love at first sight :-) I did a mix n match of recipes as I wanted to try an eggless version. The recipes has been adapted from EgglessCooking and Brown eyed baker. I have followed the original recipe which Eggless Cooking intended to follow, but still faced the same issues like her. The condensed milk and coconut mixture had turned runny even though it wasn't runny earlier and I hadn't even added any milk. So, to avoid that I am mentioning a lesser amount of condensed milk in the recipe here. Also, if you have parchment paper, use that. I used wax paper and faced a bit of trouble as it got stuck to the macroons.
For 24 Macroons
3/4 cup Sweetened Condensed milk [ I had used 1 cup]
1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
2 and 1/2 cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut [ I had used unsweetened, and the macroons were sweet enough]
8 oz Dark Chocolate for dipping
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, combine sweetened milk and all purpose flour, whisking until blended.
- Stir in coconut and mix well.
- Drop the 1 tablespoon dough about 2 inches apart onto the baking sheet. Using your fingertips make it like a haystack.
- Bake the macroons for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. I kept checking once 15 mins were over to see that coconuts are not burnt. The macroons should be crispy/crunchy and yet not burnt. It took me more than 20 minutes to achieve the required crispiness.
- Cool the macroons on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Using a metal spatula remove them to a wire rack.
- Let the macroons cool for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Melt dark chocolate and stir it smooth.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Holding the macroons by tip, dip the bottom in the chocolate and place them on the baking sheet. refrigerate for 15 minutes for chocolate to set.