April 2, 2011

Nutella Swirl Cupcakes





India is playing finals of the world cup cricket match today against Sri Lanka.And things were not looking good. For the one time I entered the kitchen, a wicket fell down, so the superstition continued and I spent most of the Sri Lankan innings coming in and out of the kitchen. These cupcakes were made then, with the hope of enjoying them after India's win. But , Indian batting has started, and two of our best players are out and we have a huge score to chase. I wouldn't have been writing this post if situation was bright for us and would have been watching the game, but now, I need something to distract me. So here it is :
The recipe is from Kirbie's Cravings.

Update : India has won the world cup !!! All the cricket superstitions paid up finally :D  . Great effort by the Indian Team and very proud and emotional moment for us.

Ingredients [ for 12 small cupcakes]
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fat free milk [ I had only 1/2 cup of milk at home, so added 1/4 cup butter milk]
1 tsp vanilla extract
Nutella

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease cupcake tin with liners and spray cooking spray on it.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
3. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
4. Fill each cup about 2/3 full with batter. Add a dollop of nutella to each and swirl it around a few times with a knife.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool before serving.

The addition of buttermilk made it moist, which  I loved.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't get any work done since the match started. Its good that I didnt make anything, else I would have binged on the entire batch, myself.
They look super duper and I hope we all can savour them together ( virtually ofcourse) when we win the world cup.

Amen.

SinFoodie said...

Yay We won !!,Here are the virtual cupcakes for you Anita@sliceofmylyfe !!! :-)
It was such an emotional moment!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These are really beautiful. Better still, I'll wager they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

createwithmom said...

these look wonderful and beautiful swirl
regards
torviewtoronto

Preety said...

omg that looks so tempting

Nisha said...

Looks really preety

Anonymous said...

How delicious and delightful! Such a fantastic way to use nutella! Yum!

xx,
Tammy

SinFoodie said...

Thanks so much Mary,creatwithMom,Preety,Nisha and Tammy. :)
They turned out very good :)

Nancy said...

These are my kind of cupcakes! They look amazing, thanks for sharing :)

Neeta said...

I tried this recipe of yours and it has turned out great. Just one question though, what do you mean by all purpose flour? I used maida and my cupcakes don't have that wonderful golden colour that yours have. Rather, mine are like a dull creamy clout and the cupcakes are quite dense. Yours seem to look softer. Mine I know will become hard once in the fridge. Any suggestions?

SinFoodie said...

Neeta, thanks for trying this out. :)
All purpose flour is maida only. Each oven behaves differently so may be you could increase the baking time to get a golden colour.
For moistness, I make my own buttermilk which is curd mixed with water . my version of buttermilk is thicker than the usual "chaas/buttermilk" that we get.
Hope I have been helpful :)

diz.be.mee said...

do you think it would work the same if i used almond milk or rice milk?

SinFoodie said...

@diz.be.mee I have never baked with almond milk or rice milk before , so can't say if it will work.
However I came across this link on vegan non-dairy substitutes,which says they will be fine in baking.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/MilkSubstitutes.htm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips