These cookies are super awesome. If you love sesame seeds, then this is a must try. I have had enough of making chewy and crumbly cookie. This time I specifically searched for crunchy cookies recipes and among many recipes I was immediately attracted to these. Sesame seeds sweets in various forms is very common in India. So,I knew I was going to like this anyway. I was so happy that it turned out so good. This recipe is definitely a keeper, something you can make and send to your friends and family.
Here is the recipe from SimplyRecipes
1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Toast the sesame seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat until they are almost golden brown. Don’t over brown them because that would give it a bitter taste. I kept tasting them as soon as they started browning to check for bitterness.
3. Beat the brown sugar and butter together in a bowl for several minutes until fluffy. Beat in the egg.
4. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder, then add these dry ingredients to the butter, sugar, egg mixture, mix well. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
5. (Optional): Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. This makes it easier to drop the cookies on the sheets. I did both with and without chilling. Felt it spread more without chilling.
6. Drop half tablespoon of dough onto prepared cookie sheets. Leave 2 inches space between each drop as these cookies spread a lot.
7. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown. Let it cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then transfer to a rack to continue cooling.
8. Makes around 30 cookies.