June 12, 2011

Sinful Chocolate Espresso Brownies


The recipe for this brownie is one of the most famous recipes online. And I must say these brownies are one  of the richest chocolate brownies I have tasted.  It is absolutely sinful. This was part of the baked goodies that I made for my niece and nephew. The photograph has been taken in a hurry as it was around 2 at night and I had an early morning flight to catch. I was too tired to do any lighting or plating and I just clicked them as I didn't want to miss putting the recipe of this delicious,brownie on the blog. This recipe is a keeper and I am surely going to make them again.

One of the mistakes I did while making these was not using the correct size pan. I had initially thought to bake them in 2 batches as I have only one square pan which is smaller than the 9*13 inch pan mentioned in the original recipe . To save time, I discarded the idea of doing 2 batches and poured the entire batter in my smaller pan. I didn't mind having them twice the original size. But what I didn't anticipate was that the baking time would almost be the same if  I had done them in 2 batches. And even after the increased baking time , some portion at the centre was still goey. I finally had to give up trying to get the centre ones baked as I was afraid I wouldn't get up on time if I spent more time on baking, There was hardly 3 hours left for sleeping.
Anyways, as long as it ends well, all the agony that one goes through to reach it, is forgotten. Everyone absolutely loved these brownies. And I learned a new lesson in baking that "Size does matter" :-D


Here is the recipe from Brown Eyed Baker.

Ingredients
[24 brownies]

1 & 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1& 1/3 cup (11 ounces) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1& 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract



Preparation

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F/176C . Butter the sides and bottom of a 9×13-inch glass or light-colored baking pan and line with parchment paper.Let the parchment paper overhang so that it is easy to pull the brownies when baked.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together.Keep aside
  3. Put the chocolate, butter and instant espresso powder in a large bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat, but keep the bowl over the water and add the sugars. Whisk until completely combined, then remove the bowl from the pan.
  4. When the chocolate mixture comes to room temperature, Add 3 eggs to it and whisk until combined. Add the remaining 2 eggs and whisk until combined. Add and mix the vanilla . Do not overbeat the batter at this stage or your brownies will be cake-like.
  5. Add the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture. Using a rubber spatula (not a whisk), fold the flour mixture into the chocolate until just a bit of the flour mixture is visible.
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with a few moist crumbs sticking to it. Increase the baking time if center is not done
  7. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan using the parchment paper. Cut into squares and serve.




7 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Highly addictive and my fav flavour brownies, same pinch even i posted a brownies today..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

This looks so delicious.

Sadhana Valentina said...

That looks so yummmmmmmm.....

Rinku Naveen said...

Looks so yummy!!
First time here. U have a beautiful blog!

aipi said...

I am so in love with coffee flavor in my chocolate based baked goodies ~ I personally believe they are a match made in heaven! These brownies look positively yummy n decadent!
US Masala

Unknown said...

the brownies look absolutely sinful :)

Vardhini said...

Perfect and tasty brownies .. have to bake them sometime.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips