1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp refined oil
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups yogurt
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
2 ounces good-quality dark chocolate
1 tbsp powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 180C. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray/butter and set aside.
- Sift together flours, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl..
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and oil.
- Add eggs and egg whites and whisk to incorporate.
- Fold in yogurt, vanilla, sugar and dissolved espresso powder.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 60 to 90 seconds; at 30 second intervals, stir each time till smooth and melted
- Fold chocolate into batter.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until cake has risen nicely and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
250 g. dark chocolate
250 g. unsalted butter OR 300mL cream
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl with the cream or butter.
- On medium power, microwave for one-minute bursts, stirring in between, until melted and combined. Mix well.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. Place in a heatproof bowl with the butter OR cream.
- Sit the bowl in a small saucepan half-full of simmering water, taking care the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the mixture is melted and combined.
- Sit the cake on a cooling rack, with a plate or sheet of baking paper underneath to catch the drips.
- Pour the ganache from a jug evenly over the cake. It will soak in and provide an excellent flavour.