|Brinjal in Curd /Dahi wale baingan|
1 medium size round brinjal
250gms fresh curd
|Ideal size of the Brinjal for this recipe|
3/4 tbsp Ghee [Clarified butter]
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds [kalonji or mangrail]
1 tsp fennel seeds [ must] [bada saunf]
2 small dried red chillies
1/4th cup water
- Slice the brinjal in round slices.Coat the pieces with turmeric and salt.
- Shallow fry the slices in oil till it is brown.
- In a separate bowl,whisk the curd smooth. Add water to make it slightly thinner. Put aside.
- In a small pan heat ghee, put the cumin seed, mustard seed, nigella seeds, fennel seeds and dried red chillies and fry till brown. This is called a bhaghaar or chaunk.
- Pour this mixture over the curd.
- Add salt little by little and mix till it salty enough.
- Place the brinjal pieces in the curd mixure.
- Top it up with red chilli powder.
- Serve cooled.
For those who are new to the process of bhaghaar or chaunk [Tempering], best results come when you do it in smallest pan u can get[ size of small bowl] .
This recipe of mine is a slightly modified version of the recipe at this site .