February 8, 2011

Dahi wale Baingan

Brinjal in Curd /Dahi wale baingan
The vegetarians love it. The non-vegetarians don't mind it, the brinjal haters [My father-in-law] become a convert and the allergic[my sister] would eat this dahi alone. I am honestly not exaggerating. This recipe is really a hit. It is such an easy side dish. Though I prefer to have it as a main dish served with hot rotis at dinner time alone. The bhaghaar or the chaunk and the saltiness of the curd is what  makes this so special. Salt should be added on the higher side,because less salt makes a huge difference to the taste.

Ingrediants
1 medium size round brinjal
250gms fresh curd
Ideal size of the Brinjal for this recipe
Oil
3/4 tbsp Ghee [Clarified butter]
Turmeric powder
Chilli powder
Salt
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds [kalonji or mangrail]
1 tsp fennel seeds [ must] [bada saunf]
2 small dried red chillies
1/4th cup water

 Preparation

  1. Slice the brinjal in round slices.Coat the pieces with turmeric and salt.
  2. Shallow fry the slices in oil till it is brown.
  3. In a separate bowl,whisk the curd smooth. Add water to make it slightly thinner. Put aside.
  4. In a small pan heat ghee, put the cumin seed, mustard seed, nigella seeds, fennel seeds and dried red chillies and fry till brown. This is called a bhaghaar or  chaunk.
  5. Pour this mixture over the curd.
  6. Add salt little by little and mix till it salty enough. 
  7.  Place the brinjal pieces in the curd mixure.
  8. Top it up with red chilli powder.
  9. Serve cooled.

For those who are new to the process of  bhaghaar or  chaunk [Tempering], best results come when you do it in smallest pan u can get[ size of small bowl] .

This recipe of mine is a slightly modified version of the recipe at this site .

9 comments:

CinnamonNChillies said...

The look is reminding me of papri chat :-)

Richa Rai said...

tum banana mere liye is baar..... i have never eaten this

Hungover on Fashion said...

You could not convert one brinjal hater though, your brother-in-law :)
I loved this dish!!

SinFoodie said...

Your husband has to first eat it to get converted. :) .. how much we forced him, but i remember he didn't even taste the curd.

kshipra said...

I made this dish on this saturday for lunch when my mom came over to stay with us. Hemant was initially skeptical to try this but then everyone liked it:)...I loved the way I could distinctively get the taste of all the ingredients of the baghaar, though i had ran out of kalonji this time. The curd is very similar to the namkeen chaach with chaunk that is very much a part of rajastani lunches during scorching summers!! But i must say the baigan goes very well with the curd.

SinFoodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SinFoodie said...

Thanks Kshipra - You are the first person who tried something from the blog :) My attempt is successful and am so glad you all liked it :)

Betty Mallorca said...

Hello from Los Angeles, California! I forgot to note where you are in India, I will look after I finish this comment. I have saved you to my RSS feed, and will look through your recipes when I get some time. I'm not much of a baker, though!

My husband and I traveled through Northern India last spring, and we had the most delicious baingan in the only hotel in Todgarh, near Udaipur, I think. It was really delicious! She used the baby baingan, as did the gurdwara we visited in Pushkar.

I watched the cook at the gurdwara make a HUGE pot of baby baingan, using spices by the bowlful. I helped him stir it up. Didn't stay until it was time to eat, though.

So I will definitely try your recipe and will let you know how I did with it. I forget what American substitute to make for the curd you call for, but I will look it up.

I have made some Indian-style dishes since my return and I think I understand the basic concept now. We really enjoyed the food we ate in your country!

If you would be interested in my food blog, it is bmallorcafood.wordpress.com. There is not much on it yet, as I started a new one because I didn't like the name of my old one :)

Please feel free to edit this post as it it very long. I look forward to studying your recipes!

thank you,
betty

SinFoodie said...

Thank you Betty for your beautiful comment.I loved it and I am so glad that you loved Indian Food.
Brinjal is one of my favourite vegetables and there is so many recipes that one can make from it.
I hope one day you will find the kind you ate at Udaipur.
Happy blgging !!! I too changed my blog name from veryverylazygirl to Sinfoodie :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips