September 28, 2011

Chocolate Almond Biscotti


Biscotti are twice baked cakes, which are crispy and crunchy and can last for a longer time as they become dry due to baking it twice. I was exactly looking for something like this ,which could last longer, as for the first time I was parceling them to another city, to a friend.
It was about time i made something from the Dorie Greenspan's book which I had gifted to myself for my birthday few month's back :) For any baking , I usually go to the internet for reference. It makes me easier to follow a recipe which has review comments and suggestions incase someone faces a problem. This time , I didn't. Later on ,while slicing the biscotti after first bake , I faced an issue as it was crumbling. I think I almost had 1/3rd of them broken. I searched if others faced the same issue with the recipe and someone did face the same. That apart, these are delicious. My husband who is not so much a sweets person, is munching on the broken ones, while the good ones were packed and sent :)






Ingredients
[about 40 cookies]
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp instant coffee or instant espresso powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped  roasted almonds 
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped ( or 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips)
Sugar, for dusting
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F/176 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, coffee powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes until pale.
  4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla; beat for another 2 minutes.
  5. Decrease the speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until a dough forms. 
  6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the chopped nuts and chocolate chunks/chips.
  7. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead a few times just to incorporate any dry ingredients that didn't get mixed in before. 
  8. Divide into two portions ,shape each portion into a 12 x 2 inch log and 1/2 to 1 inch high. 
  9. Place them on baking sheet,sprinkle the tops with a little sugar.
  10. Bake for 25 minutes till they are slightly firm.Logs will spread and crack which is fine.
  11. Remove the sheet from the oven and let it cool on a rack for 20 minutes. Then, with a very sharp, serrated knife, slice the logs into about 3/4 - 1 inch slices and leave the slices standing up on the baking sheet 
  12. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes of baking.
  13. Transfer biscotti to a rack to cool.





Linking it to Almond Event at Anu's healthy kitchen and cookeatdelicious

9 comments:

alpana said...

Biscotti looks awesome.........crumble or no crumble....anything chocolate is always welcome. Thanks for sharing.

aipi said...

Ah! I’m craving for some biscotti now ~ they look so sinfully chocolaty :)
USMasala

Suja Manoj said...

Chocolaty..yum yum,love it

Nisha said...

I'm drooling ,looks so chocolaty.

Priya Suresh said...

Chocolate biscotti, tempts me a lot..

Neha said...

Lovely looking biscotties....perfect with a cup of coffee...

Anonymous said...

Hey Sushmita.. these look yummy and let me remind u, u have a friend in Pune also....Prachi

SinFoodie said...

Thank you so much everyone :)
@Prachi - you have a friend in mumbai, which is only 3 hrs from pune :D cookies kya chappan bhog khilaaongi.. darshan to do :D

Taste Melanger said...

These look so good. Shall I send my address too??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips