It is Diwali time, and I should be making sweets. But, I don't know what has got into me, suddenly I don't feel like having anything sweet. Must be due to eating excess of gond ladoos that a relative brought few weeks back. My brother who is in town for couple of months, has an equally sweet tooth as mine,maybe a bit more. So, I thought of making these quickfix ladoos for him. Looking at how easy and quick they are to make , I will make them again for Diwali. It must have been decades since I tried binding the ladoos . Had forgotten how difficult it is to deal with the warm mixture :-) Anyone, any suggestions for reducing the burning in hands?
The recipe is from here
(makes 12 ,size as in the photo)
1 cup yellow moong dal (split green gram-husk removed)
3/4 cup sugar , powdered ( it was a bit sweet, can reduce few tbsp)
3-4 cardamoms, peeled and powdered
8-10 chopped cashews,
10-12 tsp ghee/clarified butter
- Toast moong dal in a wide pan on low heat till it has a uniform reddish brown color. Remove from heat and spread on a plate to cool.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee and saute cashews until light brown. Keep aside.
- When the moong dal cools, grind it to a fine powder and mix with cashews, sugar and cardamom powder.
- Heat about ten teaspoons of ghee in a wide pan. Add dal/sugar mixture and stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat and shape into lemon sized balls when the mixture is still warm.
- In case the mixture cannot be easily shaped. ,add teaspoons of hot ghee gradually.