February 24, 2011

Palak Paneer


Today, my blog completes a month. !! I wanted to make something special today, but last few days have been very tiring at office , so I am sharing Palak Paneer recipe which I made few days back.  But before I begin that,I must thank all my friends who encouraged me with their facebook likes,comments ,gracious compliments and suggested me to start blogging.Since the time I have started blogging I have tried some recipes which otherwise I wouldn't have ever tried or maybe I would have taken years to decide to make them. I hope this passion continues to grow and I keep making something new every other day :D

Palak Paneer is a very common dish in Indian homes. It  is simple to make and is filled with the nutrients. 
There are many versions of Palak Paneer, and every version tastes good. The only problem few people face is that their spinach gravy turns dark. Well, the secret is to let the Palak/Spinach blanch in an open pan. Do not cover it anytime during the cooking process.

Serves 2
Ingredients

1 bunch Spinach Leaves
2 green chillies
2 tsp clarified butter/ghee
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
6-7 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 medium-large onion, very  finely chopped
1 medium tomato, very  finely chopped
3/4 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala 
100gms Paneer/Cottage cheese,Cubed
Salt  1 tsp or less
Cream 1/4th cup [optional]

Preparation
  1. Wash Spinach properly. Remove the thick stems.
  2. Blanch the wet Spinach in an uncovered pan  with 2-3 tablespoon of water for 3-4 minutes until the spinach release its own water.
  3. Once cooled, Puree the Spinach along with the water it was blanched and green chilies in a mixer grinder. Keep aside.
  4. In a separate pan, heat some ghee/butter. Add cumin seeds.Add chopped garlic once the cumin seeds splutters and changes color. Fry for a minute till the garlic turns slightly red.
  5. Add onions and ginger-garlic paste. fry till onions are transparent.
  6. Add Tomato,Coriander Powder,Cumin powder and fry till tomatoes turns into a puree.for 5-6 minutes
  7. Add Pureed Spinach. Add few tablespoons of water if the paste is too dry.
  8. Add salt. Note that Spinach already has salt in it, so less salt is needed. Cook for 5 minutes.
  9. Add cubed Paneer/Cottage cheese. Some recipes call for frying the paneer beforehand, but I am not fond of the fried paneer. Unfried paneer is more soft and tastier.
  10. Cook for 3-4 minutes after adding the Paneer. Before turning the stove off , add garam masala.
  11. Add cream if you want richer gravy.

3 comments:

Hungover on Fashion said...

Congrats for completing a month :) I am also inching towards it..

SinFoodie said...

Thank you Debleena !! Heard about the tanishq feedback !! Good response naa :))

mixer grinders said...

wow!!awesome recipe and wonderful photography.I just love this recipe.I'll try to make this recipe in same procedure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips